1. Arrange wings in a large zip top bag. Whisk buttermilk with egg and hot sauce; pour over top. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (or up to 1 day).
2. Fill fryer's removable bowl with enough oil to sit between the MIN and MAX level; preheat fryer to 356F/180C.
3. Combine flour, cornflake crumbs, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne in a separate large zip top bag. Seal bag and shake to combine.
4. Using tongs, remove wings from marinade bag, letting excess liquid drip off and transfer to crumb bag. Seal bag and shake to coat. Arrange wings on a tray.
5. Place 1 lb of wings in a single layer in fryer basket. Fry for 8 minutes. Transfer wings to a clean, paper towel-lined baking tray. Hold in a 250F/120C oven while finishing remaining batch.
6. Serve wings with blue cheese or ranch dip and additional hot sauce on the side as desired.